Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I think it means, like, sneaky or something

On Groupon last weekend they had a deal where if you could a buy a $12.00 gift certificate for Collectors Paradise for $5.00.  I, of course, bought the max (which was 3).  I neglected to check out the location of this comic book store, which is Winnetka.  Now, for my readers who don't know where that is - it's hip deep in the valley and nowhere near anywhere I go anymore.  It's basically almost as far as the law office I used to work at.  I might have had a second thought about buying them had I known, and I would have ended up regretting it.  It takes me about half an hour to get there, which is about how long it takes me to get to Golden Apple, which is where I make my purchases now.  The store is about the same size and the selection is not quite as good, but still better than Secret Headquarters (the closest store to me).  I have a feeling that they know they are in ass end of nowhere, so they have a "Graphic Novel Club" where if you buy a graphic novel, you get 20% in store credit to spend on your next graphic novel purchase.  I'm not sure if this is enough to get me to go back after I spend all my gift certificates (which can't be stacked).  

So, my first purchase was Incognito by Ed Brubaker with art by Sean Phillips.  Now, you may have noticed that this is probably the first time I've mentioned the authors of a graphic novel, and that's because I'm a huge fan of both of them.  Ed Brubaker does the Criminal series, which is usually 3-5 issue arcs that are sort of noir-pulpy.  Sean Phillips has been involved with Criminal, Marvel Zombies, and Hellblazer.  Between the two of them they manage to hit my two favorite things: pulp and horror.

Incognito is the story of Zack Overkill, a former supervillain now in the witness protection program forced to live out the rest of his days as a file clerk at huge office building.  When the drugs that rob him of his superpowers start wearing off, he starts fighting crime - not because he's had some epiphany, but because he likes hurting people.  He's the kind of guy who after he's done saving you, he's likely to yell at you or take you home and have his way with you.  He hates regular people.  He just hate not being superior more, and if he's found out he'll likely be put in prison with his old boss, whom he helped put away.  

I got it home and I couldn't put it down.  What's amazing about this book, is that it isn't a redemption story.  He hasn't learned to love humanity during his time as a regular person - as a matter of fact, he may hate them even more now.  He hasn't found a respect for human life, he still loves killing people.  He is who he is.  

I guess the main thing I took out of this, from a writing standpoint, is to let your character's be who they are.  If their assholes, let them be the best asshole they can be.  Not everyone when given the opportunity to change for the better is going to do it, some might change for the worse just to show you who's boss.  

3 comments:

  1. Maybe we should do a test run on wave with a graphic novel book club or something. This book sounds interesting. I haven't read any comics in a while... although Planetary did wrap up finally last year. Did you ever read that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's cool about comics and graphic novels is you can do stories like that, take more risks and let the characters be who they are. It's hard to get away with that in movies.

    If you're planning on going out there again, you can make a day of it. Hit up the comic book shop, then grab some delicious corned beef at Brent's, then go to the awesomely skeevy Canoga Park Bowl for bowling, cheep drinks, karaoke and darts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disco: I haven't read Plantary. Maybe, I'll look into that when I go next time. that wave sounds cool.

    Matt: I will definitely be heading up there again (as I have 2 more GC's to spend) and I have the Brent's GC that I won as headhunter at the Bond Girl's poker tourney last year.
    Your comments about having more freedom in comics is well taken. It doesn't cost $100 million dollars to make a comic and that gives freedom.

    ReplyDelete