Thursday, April 29, 2010

I know what my problem is - I didn't Cutaway

So, Script Frenzy was pretty much a bust as I wasn't really ready to do another first draft, so I just poked at a couple things.  I eventually decided to go back and do the re-writes I should have been doing all along.  Unfortunately, I seem to have misplaced my rewrite notes, so it's taking me a lot longer than I had anticipated.

Last Saturday I took a class with Scott Lobdell (X-Men, Buffy [comics]) on comic writing and screenwriting.  It was kinda amazing just to here about his process.  It seems like he is just constantly coming up with ideas, but more importantly, he's also constantly working.  He told us his story about how he broke into a comics, and it was basically just working his ass off, until they gave him a chance.  He also gave out handouts about the different stages of writing a comic.  He also talked about
At the end, Caleb Monroe (an up and coming comic book writer) also spoke about breaking in.  I think it was he quoted the old saying about how breaking into comics is like breaking out of prison:  once one guy does it, they close off that means of escape.

As I was leaving I grabbed a copy of Hunters Fortune, which Caleb scripted.  The thing I immediately noticed was, like in screenwriting, Caleb kept entering each scene at the last possible moment.  The book opens with Hunter's landlady yelling about how he is 3 months late on rent.  We don't need to see him miss the first two payments, look at his bank account, or turn out his pockets like in Monopoly.  We find out everything we need to know about his normal life in the first two pages: he is homeless, unemployed, and his car is being repossessed.  The story never stops moving.  There is never a wasted frame.
I'll probably end up buying the other book he wrote, something involving Steven Baldwin.  Ever since http://www.restorestephenbaldwin.org/, I've been a little weary of anything involving that Baldwin brother (Although, I did love him in Shark in Venice, one of the movies that inspired my own creature-feature Piranhasteroid!).
I have to include this as well:



AUTHORS NOTE:  I applaud Mr. Baldwin for living his life openly, I just don't think he should be soliciting money for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment