Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sometimes you need a scalpal...and sometimes you need a chainsaw

First, the Pomodoro update.  I am currently at 13 Pomodoros for the month, so I am behind the pace, but I have every confidence that I'll be able to catch up.

Next, so I've been having some trouble with this script I've been writing.  I've got this character whom I love (he's sort of like a gay Micky Stone from Hustle), but he doesn't have a whole lot to do in the script until the end,  besides drop the occasional bon mot.  So, I was having trouble sleeping on Thursday night and I started thumbing through Script magazine and they were talking about editing and cutting stuff and it hit me - I had to cut that character.  I had debated cutting one of the other main charcters, but I couldn't make it work.  I changed the gender of a different main charcater, and she ended up working better, but something was still off.  The answer was always cutting this main character.
As soon as I made the decision to cut him, everything fell into place.  Now my two central characters, have actual arcs and themes.  The script (once the changes are made) will be a gijillion times better than it was going to be with the changes that I was planning as late as Wednesday of this week.  The whole script just makes more sense and will move so much better.
As a result, this will probably take the rest of the tomatoes this month to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment