Thursday, December 17, 2009

Whoa, we're halfway there.....

So, I hit Pomodoro's 50-52 tonight.  A day or two behind scheudle, but who's counting (well, besides you gentle readers).  What seemed impossible only a few days ago, now just seems highly unlikely.  My screenplay is grinding along.  I realize that I hate starting writing, once I get going I rather enjoy it, but the prospect of sitting down and actually starting seems huge.  I think part of it is that I know the tremendous amount work it's going to take to rewrite my script the way it should be.  Oh well, I soldier on.  Since I'm unemployed, I'm basically paying myself to write and I should think of it more like that.  Hopefully that will be more inspiring.

Anyways.  So, I watched Inglorious Basterds and read the script yesterday.  The big thing I noticed (other than the scenes that were cut), was QT's setting something up with no pay off (in the script).  In the script after the massacre in the bar, the Jew Hunter finds a solider still alive who tells him what happened, instead of the way better finding the autograph.  You had this great set-up her signing an autograph and kissing it, and then completely forgetting it.  Thankfully he realized his mistake.  It reminds me of that screenwriting saying that's about if you see a gun in the first act, someone better use it (or something like that).  I feel like once I deleted that one character from my script I realized that I had set all this great crap up and I just needed to that character out of the way to see it.

Well, I continue path with blood in my wake.  I'll give the week end update as always on Saturday.

PS: I'm going to start working my way through this years Blacklist, so if you have any suggestions let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment