Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 1 - Did you hear that or was it just in my head?

Snatch by Guy Ritchie

So the first script for my project was Snatch. The thing I wanted to focus on was the use voice overs. Throughout the entire script the main character Turkish, narrates portions of the action. The voice overs are used mostly to add information to scenes, not give completely new information. It's all in Turkish's character. The script starts with Turkish's voice over talking about where every thing is going to end up. The first the key to why the voice over works in this movie, is that it's Turkish narrating the events after they've already happened, so if he's giving us new information, it's not new to him so there's a good reason for him to know it. The second reason is that movie would still work.
And, I think that's why voice over is not the answer for one of my screenplays. If it's not working without it, I don't think it will ever be the answer. While it's a great way to get your characters inner feelings out, it's no substitute for things actually happening.

The other thing that I will be taking out of the reading is way Guy Ritchie gives all of his charcters, even if they're throwaway charcters in one scene, a specific voice. He knows each and every one of them and makes sure that all sound like themselves.

Guy Ritchie will always be one of the writers I'll want to emulate. His movies have dark topics (murder, theft), but the movies themselves are unbelievably fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment