Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Day 3 - I want action tonight!

The Dark Knight by Jonathan Nolan and Christopher Nolan

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that The Dark Knight should have won all the major awards (Original Screenplay, Direction, Picture, Cinematography) at last years Oscars. The screenplay itself is long, but never drags like the movie. The reason I selected this script is because I was curious as to how detailed the action sequences were, specifically the prisoner transport sequence as I have a sequence in one of my scripts where a semi-truck is hijacked. The answer is incredibly detailed. It even uses separate scene headings for each location (i.e. Batmobile, Joker's truck, etc.). I had expected one big location (Lower 5th) and then maybe locations in the action, but that wasn't the case. The action lines themselves are terse, but spell out almost every significant action on the screen. It describes all of the action, but doesn't waste words on needless description. Chances are that when I get to rewriting the third act of my script I'm probably going to be using this scene as the template for how I'm going to organize the writing of sequence.
I am probably going to revisit this script later on in the month as I could have probably spent a week writing on this script alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment