Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day 13 - You say Zombies! We say Where?

Planet Terror - Robert Rodriguez

I'm kinda running late so this is going to be another abbreviated post.  I bought the Grindhouse making of book, which has both Planet Terror and Machete (trailer) screenplays (not Death Proof, which was sold separately thanks a lot QT).  I guess the big thing about this is conventions again.  Nothing has to be all that deep in a grindhouse movie.  I like the the Machete  screenplay because it set the tone for the Planet Terror.  In both neither one was taken all that seriously, but they took the genre seriously.  They didn't make fun of grindhouse films or their audiences.  They're not parodies, they're homages.  The crappy effects and stilted dialogue isn't making of the genre, it is the genre.
I guess that's the most important thing.  When you're making a movie like this don't make fun of the genre or the audience.

On a complete sidenote - when are they going to release Grindhouse on DVD/Bluray they way it was intended?  I know they release the separate movies, but I want it all on one disc with the trailers inbetween.

Planet Terror -

No comments:

Post a Comment