Sunday, November 1, 2009

Day 14 - What a novel treatment

Brick (treatment/novella) - Rian Johnson

Since November is National Novel Writing Month (http://www.nanowrimo.org/), I thought I would take a quick look at the Brick treatment.  In a preface he talks about the reaosn he wanted to do it this way was because he was intentionally trying to get a Dashiell Hammett feel and he thought a prose pass would be the best way to do it.  I think it worked.  I wish I had read it prior to seeing the film, but the tone is there as is most of the unique dialogue traits.  The treatment is 76 pages long, so it's way longer than a traditionally treatment, but for a project like this that relies so much on tone and feel, it's was probably the way to go.
I had never really thought about using a treatment like that.  I had always thought they were tools for getting the story out.  Sorta like a fleshed out outline.  But, this is something more, this allowed Johnson to get the the feel of the story.  So, now I'm wondering if I should be using this as a way to get into the story.  Since it is National Novel Writing Month, I'm seriously considering trying to write one of my scripts as a novella, just to get the tone and feel right.  If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment.

Brick (Novella/Treatment/Screenplay): http://www.mypdfscripts.com/treatments/brick-treatmentnovella

No comments:

Post a Comment