Monday, November 23, 2009

Tomatoes...Really?

So, in my never ending quest to find the easy way to get things done, I have started using a new time management system called the "Pomodoro Technique" (http://www.pomodorotechnique.com/).  Basically, the way it works is you assign a certain number of 25 minute "pomodoros" ("pomodoro" is Italian for "tomato" a reference to the tomato-shaped kitchen timer the author developed the system around) to completing a certain task.  At the end of each pomodoro you take a 3-5 minute break and then at the end of 4 pomodoros you take a longer 30 minute break.  Now, obviously this technique really only works for people who 1)Don't work on a hourly basis and 2)don't have rigid structure at work (I can only imagine the heart surgeon who stops as he's attaching a bypass for his mandated pomodoro breaks).  I instituted the technique on Friday and so far it seems like the right technique for me.

The main reason it works for me is because of the essiential rule of the Pomodoro Technique: The pomodoro is indivisible!  Basically what this means is that in order for the pomodoro to count, you have work continuously for the entire pomodoro.  If you are interrupted for any reason and have to stop working, the pomodoro is void and doesn't count, therefore you have to restart the pomodoro at 25 minutes.  There is no such thing as half a pomodoro - the pomodoro is indivisible.  The breaks are also mandatory, which is nice.
So, basically when I'm in a writing pomodoro, I don't answer the phone, I don't check my email - I just do writing.  I know that I have a 5 minute break coming up and I know that I can read my email or read my blogs during that time or the longer break coming up.
Now, obviously, as with any system, you can cheat.  I was cleaning my apartment today when a call came in that I had to take.  Now, I assumed that the phone call would cause my Pomodoro app (I'll talk about this later) to close on my iPhone.  It didn't, so I had the option of just continuing to clean and still counting the pomodoro.  But, I decided to be honest and restart the pomodoro and keep cleaning, so in essence I got about 15 more minutes of work done than I would have had I not restarted the pomodoro, but I was ensured of the getting the 25 minutes in that I had budgeted.  The only thing I do cheat at is if I know I'm going on a longer break and i only 5 minutes left of work, I'll just push through which is a violation of the rules, but I don't want to waste an additional 20 minutes on something I can have done in less time.
The other great thing about the Pomodoro Technique is the cost: FREE.  Yep, that's right, nada.  You can download the book in .pdf for free off the website.  I found a free program for windows (which I haven't tried) and I think there are like 4 apps (the most expensive being $.99) for the iPhone.  They're not perfect, but they're good enough to get the job done.  I would like more customizability (differing break times [only 5 minutes] and the inability to assign multiple pomodoros to tasks [which is an important part of the system]), but for the cost you really can't beat them.

I'll give updates on how well the system is working for me periodically.  Likely, I'll give up on it as soon as the novelty wears off....Hopefully not.

No comments:

Post a Comment